28 June 2008

11 Questions with... Murry Hammond


"11 Questions with..." sets it's sights today on the Old 97's Murry Hammond... an incredible human, über-Texan, and a brilliant (yes, I said brilliant - damn kids today don't use that word enough anyhow) songwriter seeped in an authenticity unlike anyone I've ever met.  He can move you to tears with a Jimmy Rogers tune one minute, and have you uncontrollably moving to one of dem infectious 60's rock and roll beats he digs so much the next.  He has turned me on to tons of great music, old and new - another pal whose very being makes you want to listen to records.  Oh, and Murry likes trains.  A lot.    

I, along with a lot of folks, have waited (and waited...) for years for Murry to put out a solo record... our patience paid off this year with the release of I Don't Know Where I'm Going But I'm On My Way  - a truly stunning collection of 17 songs about (and I quote) "God, death, loss, trains and hope."  I haven't been able to stop listening to it.  You can stream some tunes from the cd on Murry's MySpace page... You like Nick Drake, the Carter Family, Billy Bragg and Johnny Cash?  You'll love this record. 

Murry now resides in the general LA area, along with his foxy and super talented wife, Grey Delisle, and their son, Tex.  If you've never heard Grey sing, well, I kinda imagine it's what heaven sounds like.  Don't believe me?  Listen up and judge for yourself.  She does other cool stuff too, as you can learn from this fansite.

...Now let's get to grillin' this urban hillbilly and see how he does with Oscar's "11":

1. Use the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" in a sentence.

Pick one, or both:

"Mom said that Antidisestablishmentarianism married her husband, our Uncledisestablishmentarianism, sometime in the 1960's."

...or...

"Oooohh, look at Tommmm (
Oscar! - ed.), knows BIG FANCY words like "antidisestablishmentarianism!" You think you're better than me, college boy? Huh? Hey! Look at me! Come back here! *belch* Zzzzzzzzz"

2. Please list your favorite movie, tv show, and snack food.

It's A Wonderful Life, Seinfeld, Sugar-Frosted Flakes.

3. What book should we be reading?

God's Politics by Jim Wallis.

4. I say tomato, you say...

To freedom!

5. What was your most memorable gig?

I passed out onstage during my own song on July 24, 1999. We had never been on the radio before, either, and people were screaming like we were the Dave Clark Five. Still my favorite show ever.

6. Who is your fantasy musical collaborator? Living or dead.

Brian Eno.

7. What is the most "unlikely" record/cd that you love?

Anything by Enya. My secret shame.

8. What was the first record you ever owned?

Age 4: Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison, but only had it for a few hours because the folks heard a cuss-word "beeeep" on it, so they exchanged it the next day for Live at San Quentin. I wore that one out.

9. Have a song you wish you'd written?

September Gurls by Big Star...

10. Soup or salad?

Salad.

11. "I think, therefore..."

"...I can tune people out like you can't imagine."


No comments: