17 June 2008

11 Questions with... Jon Auer

Today's "11 Questions" subject is Mr. Jon Auer - he of solo, Posies, and Big Star fame.  Jon is an all-around good chap who I've had the pleasure of knowing for about half my life actually - if only getting to hang out sporadically over these many years.  Geography keeps me from seeing Jon and his goddess of a wife Michelle as much as I would like.  

The Posies recently played some Neumo's shows celebrating their 20 years of existence...  featuring every member, past and present, of every incarnation of the band.  I'm an idiot for missing these shows.  Seriously, I fucking hate that I didn't get to see these gigs.

Aside from the whole "good guy" thing - Mr. Auer is by far one of my favorite singers and songwriters on the planet...  Jon has a couple of amazing solo records out there that are must-owns - you can order them here or download 'em on iTunes.   

But - enough of the bio stuff - you came here for answers, and here are Jon's:

1. Use the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" in a sentence.

Excuse me, could you please pass the antidisestablishmentarianism?

2. Please list your favorite movie, tv show, and snack food.

Ooh...well, it changes very often, especially favorite movie - but currently: Vertigo, Top Chef, watermelon.

3. What book should we be reading?

It's a toss-up: either Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

4. I say tomato, you say...

Tormato. And indeed, by Tormato, I do mean the record by prog rockers Yes. I can only say that it has to be heard to be believed and that even then, once you've taken it in, you probably still won't believe it possible or at very least wish it wasn't so. Mark my words: if you can listen to it in it's entirety without laughing or making the same face Mia Farrow makes at the end of Rosemary's Baby when she realizes her newborn is Satan's spawn, I will personally write you a check for $5.

5. What was your most memorable gig?

Damn, girl - you ask the tough ones. There have been many worth mentioning. I'll pick Atlanta in May 2006 when I played at Centennial Park with Big Star. The line up was De La Soul, Big Star, and the Flaming Lips. One for the books indeed.

6. Who is your fantasy musical collaborator? Living or dead.

In my field of dreams, it would probably be Chet Baker. Never was one smoother of sound or more beautifully sad.

7. What is the most "unlikely" record/cd that you love?

If you mean a record/cd that most might assume I would never be a huge fan of, I'd have to say Power in Numbers by Jurassic 5. I've listened to it countless times. Dots and Loops by Stereolab falls into this same category.

8. What was the first record you ever owned?

Could it have been the original Saturday Night Fever soundtrack? I sure hope it was.

9. Have a song you wish you'd written?

I Am The Cosmos by Chris Bell. I sing it so often I pretend I wrote it anyway. The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground runs a close second.

10. Soup or salad?

The answer of course is sashimi. Get enough sake in me and I even enjoy it raw.

11. "I think, therefore..."

I know better than to answer this question.

1 comment:

Michelle Auer said...

Awww... you are the most awesome! I'm so happy you are blogging again. I missed you!