24 June 2008

11 Questions with... Glen Phillips



Today we return to grilling songwriters... and the latest subject is another very old pal: señor Glen Philips.  Glen, as y'all know, started out as the songwriter and voice of Toad the Wet Sprocket - and has since put out a batch of pretty great solo albums...

Glen is one of those songwriters who is in awe of great songs.  I love that.  It's infectious.  He makes you want to listen to records.  

Glen's latest, Secrets of the New Explorers, is pretty fucking amazing.  You can buy it here or go to iTunes... and if you haven't heard his side project with Nickel Creek, Mutual Admiration Society, then get to a-downloading that too... go on, we'll wait here for you...

Glen will be on the road a bunch this summer, either solo or on a few special Toad dates - if you're able, do not miss the chance to see one of this generation's finest tunesmiths.  If you can't make it out, check out these clips of Glen doing a bunch of tunes with Nickel Creek/Punch Brothers' Chris Thile - it's the next best thing.   

...And now let's play cheap psychiatrist with young Mr. Phillips...

1. Use the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" in a sentence.

Only a Papist would ask me to talk about antidisestablishmentarianism.

2. Please list your favorite movie, tv show, and snack food.

Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo (Where Are You?), Scooby Snacks.

3. What book should we be reading?

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

4. I say tomato, you say...

Salmonella. See above.

5. What was your most memorable gig?

The night I met Nickel Creek, just before their first record came out. They sat in on more than half my set.

6. Who is your fantasy musical collaborator? Living or dead.

Bjork.

7. What is the most "unlikely" record/cd that you love?

Journey, Escape.

8. What was the first record you ever owned?

The Muppet Movie Soundtrack

9. Have a song you wish you'd written?

Facts About Jimmy by Shawn Colvin. Particularly:
I used to get drunk to get my spark
And it used to work just fine
It made me wretched but it gave me heart
I miss Jimmy like I miss my wine


10. Soup or salad?

Soup. No - salad. No - soup. No - salad! Can I have half of each?

11. "I think, therefore..."

I sham.

No comments: