25 May 2007

Neil and Randy...

So, in my haste to put together my pretentious "check me out I listen to Thelonious Monk and The Beatles" diatribe, I omitted two of the greatest living songwriters on the planet: Neil Young and Randy Newman.

So, mea culpas all around... and I will say, with just a little smugness, that I am glad I grew up in a generation when you could hear cats like these on top 40 pop radio. Seriously, could you imagine "Heart of Gold" or "Old Man" - both bona fide hit singles - on a Top 40 station today? (answer: no, no you couldn't). "Heart of Gold" actually went to number one on the singles chart - maiking it the only time a Neil single would be on the top of the hit parade. Anyway, everything cost a nickel back then too... it also snowed as I walked uphill to go to school obviously, blah blah blah... Goddam kids today don't understand the struggle.

Anyway, sit back and enjoy the two videos below, won't you...? Thanks much.



No comments: